- LMFT Out-of-State Educational Requirements (BPC §4980.81):
Applicants shall meet (each of) the following educational requirements:
- A minimum of two semester units of instruction in the diagnosis, assessment, prognosis, and treatment of mental disorders, including severe mental disorders, evidence-based practices, and promising mental health practices that are evaluated in peer reviewed literature.
- At least one semester unit or 15 hours of instruction in psychological testing AND at least one semester unit or 15 hours of instruction in psychopharmacology.
- LPCC Core Content Areas (AB 1917):
No applicant shall be deficient (prohibits remediation outside of the applicant’s qualifying degree program) in the required core content areas of:
- Assessment, appraisal, and testing of individuals, as specified.
- Principles of the diagnostic process and the use of diagnostic tools, as specified.
- LPCC Treatment of Couples and Families (CCR §1820.7):
LPCCs shall obtain Board confirmation of qualifications to treat couples and families, and shall provide a copy of this confirmation to:
- 1) Couple or family clients prior to commencement of treatment.
- 2) An associate marriage and family therapist or trainee prior to commencement of supervision.
- 3) Another LPCC or Associate PCC gaining supervised experience to comply with requirements to treat couples or families prior to commencement of supervision.
- Subsequent Registration Associates and Interns (BPC: ASW: §4992.09(f),(g); IMF: §4980.39(f),(g); APCC: §4999.55(f),(g))
Applicants who obtained a subsequent (2nd or 3rd) ASW, IMF, or APCC registration anytime during 2016, must pass the California Law and Ethics Exam, in order to renew their registration in 2017.
In addition, on or after January 1, 2017, applicants for subsequent ASW, IMF, or APCC registration must pass the California Law and Ethics Exam, before a subsequent registration may be issued.
- Pending Legislation
For further information regarding pending legislation see California's Legislative Information website, which provides the bill's language, history, status, and analysis as provided by the California State Legislature
BBS Position on Pending Bills
**There are no pending bills at this time**
- Approved Legislation
- Citizen's Guide to Participation
- Pending Regulation
The following regulations are pending approval from the Office of Administrative Law:
Application Processing and Registrant Advertising
Amends sections 1805.1 and 1811 of Division 18 of Title 16 of the California Code of Regulations. This proposal would update the application processing times section of the Board’s regulations, and modify it consistent with current processing times. This proposal would also update the Board’s advertising regulations for registrants for consistency with statutory changes that modify registrant titles effective January 1, 2018. It would also make advertising regulations pertaining to Associate Clinical Social Workers consistent with requirements for other registration types.
English as a Second Language: Additional Examination Time
Adds Section 1805.2 to Division 18 of Title 16 of the California Code of Regulations. This proposal would allow the Board to grant time-and-a-half (1.5x) on a Board-administered examination to an English as a second language (ESL) applicant, if the applicant meets specific criteria demonstrating limited English proficiency.
- Approved Regulation
- How to Participate in the Rulemaking Process