Accredited Schools with MFT Degree Programs

For California licensing purposes, accredited schools are those institutions that are accredited by one of the following established organizations:

  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
  • Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools (MSA).
  • Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).
  • New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC).
  • North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools (NCA).
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).

Notice to All California residents

If you are enrolled in or considering an online degree program that is based in another state, please be aware that your degree will be evaluated in accordance with California in-state degree requirements. Please contact your school to ensure that the program integrates the California-specific content required of California residents. This coursework must be integrated into the program and cannot be remediated post-degree. Therefore, it is imperative that the California-specific requirements are included in the degree program.

The list below identifies California schools with MFT Programs which have been reviewed by the BBS. However, some schools may have multiple campus locations that offer MFT programs. Please contact the school directly for more information on program availability. California Business and Professions Code Section (4980.38) requires that schools notify each student that their program meets all of the requirements.

The notification from your school will indicate if additional courses are required to meet the requirements of section 4980.36 or 4980.37.  Schools occasionally change programs, curriculum and course content.  Please be sure that your program meets the current educational requirements which are in compliance with SB 33 and are detailed in the CA Business and Professions Code – Section 4980.36 (for students beginning their coursework on or after 8/1/2012).

If you have an out-of-state degree lacking the required California coursework, refer to the lists below for California schools that offer these courses.