Schools with MFT Degree Programs
MFT SCHOOL PROGRAMS FOR APPLICANTS (2016 PROGRAM UPDATES)
The list below identifies California schools with MFT Programs which have been evaluated by the Board. These programs meet the MFT licensure requirements, pursuant to California Business and Professions Code (BPC) §4980.36, for students who began graduate studies on or after August 1, 2012.
This list includes those schools who have submitted curriculum to the Board for review in 2015. Each of the links below will take you to the school's website, where you can find specific degree program information. Please contact the school if you have questions about whether or not the program meets the degree requirements for MFT licensure. Some schools may have multiple campus locations offering MFT programs, however. Please contact the school directly for more specific information on program availability and compliance.
Since schools occasionally change program curriculum and course descriptions, the list below may not reflect these changes. Please contact the school directly, to ensure that the degree program meets the educational requirements for licensure. Ultimately, it is the responsibility of the applicant to comply with all requirements for registration and licensure.
Please note California Code of Regulations (CCR) §1807.2 requires all applicants for licensure to complete coursework (at least 7 contact hours of training) in child abuse assessment and reporting.
ScHOOL PROGRAMS LIST
- Alliant International University - Irvine
- Alliant International University - Los Angeles
- Alliant International University - Sacramento
- Alliant International University - San Diego
- Alliant International University - San Francisco
- Antioch University, Los Angeles
- Antioch University - Santa Barbara
- Argosy University - Inland Empire Campus
- Argosy University - Los Angeles Campus
- Argosy University - Orange County Campus
- Argosy University - San Diego Campus
- Argosy University - San Francisco Campus
- Azusa Pacific University
- Brandman University
- California Baptist University
- California Institute for Human Science
- California Institute of Integral Studies
- California Lutheran University
- California Southern University
- California State Polytechnic University, San Luis Obispo, Psychology and Human Development Dept.
- California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
- California State University, Bakersfield, Counseling Psychology Program
- California State University, Chico
- California State University, Dominguez Hills
- California State University, Fresno, Dept. of Counseling and Special Education
- California State University, Fullerton, Department of Counseling, Department of Psychology
- California State University, East Bay
- California State University, Long Beach
- California State University, Los Angeles, Charter College of Education
- California State University, Northridge, Department of Educational Psych & Counseling
- California State University, Sacramento, Department of Counselor Education, Department of Psychology
- California State University, San Bernardino, Department of Psychology
- California State University, Stanislaus
- Chapman University, Orange
- Chicago School of Professional Psychology- Irvine and Westood campus
- Chicago School of Professional Psychology, Los Angeles campus
- Dominican University of California
- Eisner Institute for Professional Studies
- Fresno Pacific University - MB Biblical Seminary
- Fuller Theological Seminary
- Golden Gate University, Department of Psychology
- HIS University
- Holy Names University
- Hope International University
- Humboldt State University
- John F. Kennedy University, Graduate School of Professional Psychology, School of Holistic Studies
- Loma Linda University
- Loyola Marymount University
- Meridian University
- Mount St. Mary's University
- Notre Dame de Namur University
- Pacifica Graduate Institute
- Pacific Oaks College
- Palo Alto University
- Pepperdine University
- Phillips Graduate Institute
- Point Loma Nazarene University
- Professional School of Psychology
- Ryokan College
- San Diego State University
- San Diego University for Integrative Studies
- San Francisco State University, College of Health and Human Services
- San Jose State University
- Santa Clara University, Counseling Psychology
- Saybrook University
- Simpson University
- Sofia University
- Sonoma State University
- Southern California Seminary
- St. Mary's College of California
- Touro University Worldwide
- University of LaVerne
- University of Phoenix - Bay Area Campus
- University of Phoenix - Central Valley Campus
- University of Phoenix - Southern California Campus
- University of Phoenix - Sacramento Campus
- University of Phoenix - San Diego Campus
- University of San Diego, School of Leadership and Education Sciences - MFT Program
- University of San Francisco, School of Education
- University of Southern California
- University of the West
- Vanguard University of Southern California
- Western Institute for Social Research
- Western Seminary
- World University of America
- The Wright Institute
Accreditation and BPPE Approval
For California licensing purposes, accredited schools are those institutions that are accredited by one of the following established organizations:
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
- Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools (MSA).
- Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).
- New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC).
- North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools (NCA).
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).
California schools not accredited by one of the above organizations may qualify with school approval from the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education.
APPLICANTS WHO BEGAN GRADUATE STUDY ON OR AFTER AUGUST 1, 2012
Senate Bill (SB) 33 changed the educational requirements for marriage and family therapist licensure for applicants who began graduate study on or after August 1, 2012, as indicated in Business and Professions Code (BPC) §4980.36.
APPLICANTS WHO BEGAN GRADUATE STUDY BEFORE AUGUST 1, 2012
Applicants who began a degree program prior to August 1, 2012 and graduated before December 31, 2018 may be eligible for marriage and family therapist licensure according to Business and Professions Code (BPC) §4980.37.
NOTICE TO ALL CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS REGARDING OUT OF STATE DEGREES
Applicants currently enrolled-in or considering online degree programs based in other states, please note the Board will evaluate these degree programs on a case-by-case basis, in accordance with California out-of-state requirements. The Board has not included out-of-state degree programs in the list above.
Please contact your school to ensure that the program integrates the California-specific content required for registration and licensure in California. Ultimately, it is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure California requirements have been satisfied within the degree program. Applicants with out-of-state degrees lacking the required California coursework may refer to the list above for California schools offering these courses.