Enforcement Program (Expert Consultants)
The Board of Behavioral Sciences (Board) is recruiting Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists (LMFT), Licensed Clinical Social Workers (LCSW), Licensed Professional Clinical Counselors (LPCC), and Licensed Educational Psychologists (LEP) statewide, to serve as expert consultants for the Board's enforcement program.
An expert consultant is a Board licensee possessing technical or professional knowledge gained through advanced education or extensive work experience that enables the individual to form a definite opinion in the area of the standard of care for the profession.
Expert consultants are paid $75.00 per hour for case review and preparation of the expert opinion report, and $100.00 per hour plus expenses, if called to testify at an administrative hearing.
To be an expert consultant for the Board, an individual must meet the following qualifications:
- Hold a current LMFT, LCSW, LPCC or LEP license; be in good standing; have no prior or pending disciplinary actions; and no pending investigations or enforcement actions.
- Have a minimum of five (5) years post-licensure practice.
- Maintain consistent, ongoing, face-to-face client contact (minimum of ten hours per week).
- Possess current working knowledge of the current laws and regulations governing the practice which the expert consultant is licensed to perform. Knowledgeable of professional code of ethics.
- Possess strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to express ideas logically and critically.
- Willing to serve as an expert consultant for at least three (3) consecutive years.
If you are interested in providing expert consultant services to the Board and meet the above requirements, please submit a letter to the address below outlining why you would like to participate in this program and include a current curriculum vitae.
Board of Behavioral Sciences
ATTN: Expert Consultant Coordinator
1625 North Market Boulevard, Suite S-200
Sacramento, CA 95834
Examination Development - (Subject Matter Experts)
The Board of Behavioral Sciences is not currently recruiting licensees to serve as Subject Matter Experts to participate in written examination development workshops.
Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW), Licensed Educational Psychologist (LEPs), and Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) licensees are encouraged to participate in developing and maintaining the licensing examinations by serving as Subject Matter Experts. Such examinations could not exist without qualified licensees willing to assist with this important responsibility.
New licensees (5 years or less) are encouraged to apply, as your input is needed to maintain standards at entry level.
Workshops are conducted throughout the year in Sacramento. Types of workshops include item (question) writing and review, passing score setting, clinical vignette writing and review, and examination construction.
The fee paid to subject matter experts varies depending on the length and complexity of the workshop ($200 - $300 per day). Workshops last from one to three days, and are normally conducted from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. each day. Participants who travel 50 miles or more each way to workshops are reimbursed for travel expenses. Hotel and airfare are typically prepaid by the board.
To qualify to serve as a Subject Matter Expert, a licensee MUST:
- As an MFT: Possess a degree title name in Section 4980.40(a) of the Business and Professions Code;
- As an LCSW: Possess a degree from an accredited school of social work;
- As an LEP: There is no specific degree requirement;
- Possess a license which is current and not under suspension or probation;
- Perform twenty to forty hours of training, supervision, education or clinical experience with a minimum of ten hours face-to-face counseling hours per week. For LEPs: Be currently practicing as an LEP;
- Agree to not participate in any examination coaching or preparation activities as stated in the agreement signed with the Board upon participation in examination development activities.
If you meet the qualifications and are interested in serving;
Please complete and submit a Subject Matter Expert application with your resume to the Board. Upon approval, you would be sent a list of workshops to return, indicating your availability to participate. Contact the Board's Examination Unit to obtain an application or you may download the applicable application below.
- MFT Subject Matter Expert Application
- LCSW Subject Matter Expert Application
- LEP Subject Matter Expert Application
If you would like more information before applying, please contact Sandra Wright at (916) 574-7860.