ALERT: Effective January 1, 2018, the titles for Marriage and Family Therapist Interns, and Professional Clinical Counselor Interns will change. More Information

LPCC Out of State Applications Postmarked On or Before December 31, 2015

  1. If you gained experience in another jurisdiction,  if your degree was earned outside of California, or if you hold a valid license in another jurisdiction and have held it for less than two years, then you must submit the following applications, in order:

Education Requirements

Degrees earned outside of California will be evaluated  in accordance with California's requirements as defined in law. If you have an out-of-country degree, you must have your education evaluated to determine equivalency to a qualifying degree in California. The evaluation service must be a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services.

Applicants with an out-of-state degree must submit syllabi for all coursework listed on the Degree Program Certification form, that is included with the LPCC application packets, except as specified below.

  • If your degree was conferred in 1983 or later AND at the time of conferral, the degree program was CACREP accredited, then you DO NOT have to submit syllabi EXCEPT for coursework listed as meeting the "Diagnosis" core content area, however, the Board may require submission of syllabi after evaluating your application.
  • What you can do when the Board requests Course Syllabi

(Sources: Business and Professions Code Sections 4999.32, 4999.57, 4999.58 and 4999.59; California Code of Regulations (Division 18, Title 16) Section 1806)

Experience Requirements

California law requires applicants to possess 3,000 hours of supervised post-degree experience, gained over a minimum of 104 weeks. The specific requirements will differ depending on whether the applicant holds a license equivalent to the California LPCC license in another state and the length of licensure.

If you have been licensed in another state for at least two years, and the supervised work experience requirements for that state are substantially equivalent to California's requirements, then you will have met the supervised work experience requirements for licensure.

If you have not held a license for at least two years in another state, you must register with the BBS as a professional clinical counselor intern and gain at least 250 hours of supervised work experience in direct counseling in California. Additionally, if the licensing body in your state does not have equivalent experience requirements, time actively licensed as a LPCC in your state can be credited at a rate of 100 hours per month up to a maximum of 1,200 hours.

NOTE: Effective January 1, 2016, the requirement for completing 250 supervised clinical hours in California is no longer in effect. Whether this requirement applies to you depends on the date you submit your application.

The qualifying supervised work experience gained out-of-state, as well as up to 1,200 hours credited for time licensed out of state, can be combined, if needed, with the work experience gained in California to meet the minimum 3,000 hours of counseling experience and 104 weeks of supervision.

(Sources: Business and Professions Code Sections 4999.46, 4999.57, and 4999.58; California Code of Regulations, Title 16, Section 1820)

Examination Requirements

Once all education and experience is approved, the applicant will be eligible for the licensure examinations. All licensure paths require examinations. The applicant must first pass the California Law and Ethics Examination and then pass the National Clinical Mental Health Counselor Examination (NCMHCE)

If you have already passed the NCMHCE, the Board may accept your passing score as follows:

  • If you do not currently hold licensure in another state, your passing score must be less than seven (7) years old
  • If you currently hold a license in another state, your passing score can be any age
  • You must obtain official proof of passing from the National Board of Certified Counselors (NBCC) in a sealed envelope and submit it to the Board

(Sources: Business and Professions Code Section 4999.52)

Fingerprinting Requirements

All applicants must be fingerprinted with the BBS. The Applicant Fingerprinting Requirements provides specific information on the fingerprinting process.

Application Packets