Information for Consumers Filing Complaints
Consumer Protection Mandate
- The Board is responsible to ensure consumers receive services from safe practitioners
- Investigation of complaints is used to determine ability to practice safely
Who Should File
A complaint should be filed by anyone who believes that a licensee, registrant or applicant has engaged in unprofessional conduct, related to his or her professional responsibilities. The Board will review each complaint regardless of the source.
- Whenever possible, the Board will send a letter to the complaining party, acknowledging receipt of the complaint
- The Board will also notify complainants in writing, of any changes to the disposition of the complaint
- How to File
What to Include
Complaints must be submitted in writing, and include a statement clearly explaining the nature of the complaint. The most effective complaints should contain detailed, firsthand, verifiable information, including:
- Copies of documentary evidence (e.g., bills, statements, canceled checks, insurance reimbursement statements, correspondence, court documents, etc)
- Contact information of any witness or other person, who can corroborate the issues or events described in your complaint.
- Dates, times and locations of therapy when possible
While anonymous complaints will be reviewed, they may be impossible to pursue unless they contain documented evidence of the allegations made.
Third Party Complaints
Third party complaints filed by someone other than the client may be impossible for the Board to pursue because each therapy client has the legal right to confidentiality of their treatment records. Unless all persons are willing to be contacted and provide authorizations for release of information, the Board may be unable to investigate and prosecute a complaint.
- Online Complaint Form
- Consumer Complaint Form and Authorization Release
- Section 801, 802 - Report of Settlement, Judgment, or Arbitration Awards
- Section 803 - Reporting Requirements for Court Clerks
- Section 805 - Health Facility Reporting Form
- Section 805 - Health Facility or Peer Review Reporting Form